Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Detachment... Why do we cherish memories

Recently i had the occasion to go through my past. In a way i mean. I was shifting through the remains of my trunk and came across old books and stuff that i was positive that i had no use of. But still it felt bad to discard them. There were some vague very distant memories associated with them that refused to let go. It was only with a heavy heart that i finally bade them goodbye. What was perplexing in this entire episode was that the items did not really mean anything to me at the time when i had them. In fact i could go as far as to say that i literally misused/abused them, as was obvious from the torn pages and broken limbs.

But the experience made me wonder, why did they gain in value over time. Is it just human nature, or was there something special about them, that special factor which i am subconsciously aware of but i cant put a finger at. Maybe its the former, is it not always 'old is gold' and 'future is always going to the dogs'(I personally think very highly of dogs, according to me any such phrase could only mean for the good, but that's how the phrase goes). And if i want to argue in favor of the latter, lets see, when we like someone, and want to remember then we go to places where we have been together, not because we like the place but because we have memories associated with the place. Human memory is basically abstract and sort of photographic, so we can associate similar feelings on seeing similar patterns or places. But will that mean that sub-consciously i was happier at the earlier stage than at present, does an attachment with something in the past mean that we are growing unhappier everyday. Are we not ready to look forward to tomorrow and wish to cling on to the past? I cant make up my mind at present. Maybe sometime in the future... That does give me something to look forward to... (Is that contradictory??.. :-) ...).

No comments: